News

If you are a journalist working on a story about Bottom Dollar Food, please contact Christy Phillips-Brown, APR, External
Communications Director, at 704-310-2221 (After 6 p.m. Eastern time: 704-245-3317 or cphillips-brown@foodlion.com).

Bottom Dollar Food Helps Local Food Banks Fight Hunger by Providing More Than 110,000 Meals to Families in Need This Summer

May. 30, 2012

SALISBURY, N.C – Bottom Dollar Food is helping seven Feeding America food banks provide more than 110,000 meals to families in need in the greater Philadelphia and Pittsburgh regions and Youngstown, Ohio, this summer.

Bottom Dollar Food customers and associates raised funds to pay for the meals during the grocer’s latest spring Hunger Has a Cure campaign, which supports Feeding America’s network of local food banks.

The successful two-week campaign, which ran April 4 through April 17, allowed customers to donate $1, $3 or any other amount of their choice at checkout.

“We are ecstatic about the more than 110,000 meals that we were able to provide to families in need,” said Bill Garcia, manager of community relations for Bottom Dollar Food. “We are proud to work with Feeding America to help eliminate hunger in our communities, and we will continue to do all that we can to help our neighbors.”

As a result of the recent campaign, 75 percent of the proceeds will be distributed to seven Feeding America food banks in the Bottom Dollar Food footprint where the funds were raised. The remaining 25 percent will be donated to the national Feeding America organization. Feeding America is able to help provide eight meals per every $1 donated.

The food banks that will receive funds include the Community Food Bank of New Jersey, Hillside, N.J; Food Bank of South Jersey, Pennsauken, N.J.; Greater Berks Food Bank, Reading, Pa.; Greater Pittsburgh Community Food Bank, Duquesne, Pa.; Philabundance, Philadelphia; Second Harvest Food Bank of Lehigh Valley and North East Pennsylvania, Bethlehem, Pa.; and Second Harvest Food Bank of the Mahoning Valley, Youngstown, Ohio.

Through efforts such as this, Bottom Dollar Food raises community awareness of hunger needs, funding for food banks and contributes approximately 200,000 pounds of food donations annually to Feeding America.

About Bottom Dollar Food
Bottom Dollar Food, based in Salisbury, N.C., is redefining the discount grocery model by offering private brands and the national brands that matter most to customers, in addition to fresh produce and quality meats, at discount prices and in an energetic shopping environment. Bottom Dollar Food operates 56 stores in three states – Pennsylvania, New Jersey and Ohio. For more information, visit www.bottomdollarfood.com.

About Feeding America®
Feeding America® provides low-income individuals and families with the fuel to survive and even thrive. As the nation's leading domestic hunger-relief charity, our network members supply food to more than 37 million Americans each year, including 14 million children and 3 million seniors. Serving the entire United States, more than 200 member food banks support 61,000 agencies that address hunger in all of its forms. For more information on how you can fight hunger in your community and across the country,visit www.feedingamerica.org.